SILVER, SILVER-GILT AND ENAMEL
One of two coffee services, each comprising a coffee-pot; cream-jug; a sugar-bowl with spoon and a stand, each piece pear-shaped, the coffee-pot with black nylon insulators and black enamelled hinged cover, the cream-jug and sugar-bowl each with a band of black enamel at the rim, the stand plain oval, each piece engraved with the Royal coat-of-arms
the coffee-pot 29 cm. high
Graham Hughes, Gerald Benney Goldsmith, The Story of Fifty Years at the Bench, Starcity Ltd., Alfriston, East Sussex, 1998, p. 216.
GERALD BENNEY, C.B.E. (1930-2008)
Gerald Benney was born in Hull, Yorkshire and spent most of his early life in Brighton. After training at Brighton Art College under Dunstan Pruden and then at the Royal College of Art, under Professor Robert Goodden, he opened his first workshop at Whitfield Place in London.
In 1974 he was granted a Royal Warrant by HM The Queen as goldsmith and silversmith. Further Royal Warrants followed in 1975 from HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and The Queen Mother and in 1980 from HRH The Prince of Wales. He has made pieces for presentation by HM Government, for Oxford and Cambridge Colleges, churches including Coventry, St Paul’s and Lichfield Cathedrals. Gerald’s work can be seen in many collections such as HM The Queen, the Victoria and Albert Museum, Crafts Council and the Goldsmiths’ Company.
Gerald was a Liveryman of the Goldsmiths’ Company and Royal Designer to Industry. He was Professor at the Royal College of Art. In 1981 he was appointed Chairman of the Government of India Hallmarking Survey. He is a Freeman of the City of London and of the Borough of Reading and an Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Art. In 1993, together with his son Simon, he opened a shop in London. He was also an adviser to The Silver Trust.
He was awarded a C.B.E. in 1995.